Tuesday 5 September 2017

70 years young - my friend Moira

Today is the Birthday of one of my very best friends, dating back to our boarding school days! Moira, I hope you have a fabulous day!

As we oldies know, even if we have aches and pains, it's what's going on in your mind that keeps the years at bay. Ha, in which case I should be just about approaching my late teens mentally! Never lose the sense of fun and silliness, and with a cheeky smile you can usually get away with most things!

Anyhow, I wanted to make a memorable card for Moira's special Birthday to sum up how daft we can be when together. So, I sent off for a new stamp set and then got the jitters about colouring it. However, short of selling the stamp set on or giving it away, I had to attack it - and so I did - one week ago. Amazing, I ended up with time to spare and this is the result:
Love this sentiment!
I used:

- 6" square white easel card - ie. one card with a line scored horizontally across the centre of one half and firmly folded and burnished to remain well folded plus
a panel for the front of the card

- plain green backing card - SU's 'Certainly Celery' to cover the base of the easel card and the panel front panel - glued in place

- papers from a QCME freebie pad called 'Let's Fly Away', trimmed slightly smaller than the plain green card and glued in place

- then I stamped the image and both sets of words, using the Misti and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink. The stamp set is of course by Stamping Bella, from the Uptown Girls range and it's called 'Thelma and Louise'. I'd decided that the 'Thelma and Louise' wording would go above the image and the other wording would be used on the the easel card base

- coloured the image using Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils and Sansodor blending fluid

- despite having a ton of dies here, not one was the right size so I just trimmed the image down and then popped it onto a backing of more green card and glued it in place on the front panel

- stuck the front panel onto the folded easel part of the card using red line tape

- trimmed the 'karma' sentiment (which I just love!) and popped it onto a backing of green card then added some thick Hunkydory sticky pads to the back before sticking it onto the base part of the easel card to act as a 'prop'

- stamped the {HAPPY birthday} onto a snippet of white card,  using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the Hero Arts 'CLO47 Messages' set

- then trimmed and backed it with green card and glued it in place on the base

- die cut the numbers and sun from medium strength adhesive sheet backed snippets of orange and turquoise card using the sun from the Joy! 'Sun and Moon' set and numbers from the Memory Box 'Classic Numbers' set and popped them in place

- final touch - Glossy Accents on the sunglasses, bottle and rear lights

In the end the stamp wasn't really as frightening to colour as I'd feared. Mind you, it would have been totally different using Pro markers as opposed to nice sharp coloured pencils! And, as it is, that car looks like it's due a respray in close up! Bit like me really :)





33 comments:

  1. What a fabulous easel card for your friend, Di. The image is wonderful and I'm sure brought a smile to Moira's face.

    I've been trying to make a card today for a friend's birthday .... and getting nowhere! An easel card will be perfect for the image I have in mind. Thanks for the inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable easel for your very best friend!! Moira's Birthday will be more fun and happy with your card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di, a wonderful easel card for Moira, sounds like you are quite the pair... hope you don't get up to too much mischief... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great card for someone 70yrs young :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card. Your friend is going to love this one. You did a beautiful job on the colouring and the design and design papers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow--what a super special card for your childhood friend! I know she'll treasure this, Di! The sentiment is just a hoot! Love your coloring, too--including the car!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous stamp made into a fun card for a young 70 year old. I'm sure she will just love it. It can be annoying when despite having tons of shape dies none of them seem to fit a particular image you want to use - happens to me quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha what a fabulous stamp and sentiment! Great card Di! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this fantastic stamp you've used and the great sentiment, just the sort you need for a best friend.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun and fabulous Di!! I love it.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic card Di. Beautifully coloured. Am sure Moira loved it. That sentiment is PERFICK!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute easel card for your friend. I love the image and that sentiment is great for a best friend. Your coloring is just fine and I know she will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card, your colouring turned out perfectly x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fun and fabulous image beautifully coloured Di, and you have made a great easel card using the pretty papers and backed with that lovely green. I'm sure Moira will have adored this! Hope you had a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fabulous card Di and I'm sure Moira will think it's perfect!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Di this is a stunning card for your friend she is going to love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful card! A very happy birthday to your special friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool this is Di and I love how you wrote that one should keep being fun and silly...of late I have been taking life a tad too seriously...time to loosen the belt I guess!!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fabulous fun card for your friend, I love the sentiment too, and the pretty patterned paper.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh this is so pretty Di l love all that you have done to create such an adorable easel card one of my favourite layouts too! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a brilliant card, great image and colouring. Just be careful driving with the hood down as you may lose that flower in your hair. One more major question... who the hell is driving??!!

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out SO pretty DI and I love that image! I WISH I had one of those 1959 Chevy convertibles in my garage today! That was a classic car, and this is a great card for a classic friend. Heck, we're ALL classics now, right? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable card, Di. You coloured it beautifully. Love that image and love reading about your friendship with Moira.

    Hugs, Trina xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Di, she will really love this fun card that shows how close the two of you are! You did such a fantastic job of coloring it and laying it out perfectly! I love the sediment so much and the glossy accents give it the final bit of mwah!!

    You should pat yourself on the back for helping to keep us all "childlike" with your beloved Playground, Parsnip, swing set, merry-go-round, tree house, bike shed, etc. etc. etc.! Thank you, my friend!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your paper for this. The coloring compliments it. The sun - nice touch!!! -Higgledy-Piggledy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh this is awesome! Such a fabulous and fun card, perfect for your friend Moira who must have adored it! Brilliant colouring, so clever! I love my card too! Thank you again! All my cards are still up - I am still celebrating! Hugs my friend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant card and I love that fabulous fun image which you've coloured perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, with THAT sentiment, I'm scared!! This is great funny card, very colourful, love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a great and joyful card, Diane! So funny! I love it, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a super easel card for your friend's birthday Di. A super fun image and I love the pretty bright papers. A very happy card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous card you made for your friend. Love the energy that radiates from it.

    Marjeta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.